SaveAsDAISY is available for Windows only. We provide an unified installer that detects standard installations of Microsoft Office. If Office is not found by the installer (like preinstalled or windows store versions of MS Office), it will request which architecture (32bits or 64bits) you want the addin to be installed for.
Latest version: 2.7.2 beta (released on September, 2022)
If you have an issue with the installers or with the add-in, please contact the development team by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any constructive feedbacks are also welcome to help us improve the add-in :)
Feedbacks / Known issues
The accessibility ribbon does not appear after successfull installation
Addin is reported unloaded due to an error
The addin assumes you have a recent version of .NET Framework (4+) available on your system. You can check if you have the required .NET Framework by checking if folders “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319” and/or “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319” exists.
It is also possible that the wrong bit-version of the addin is installed : this might have been the case if your office version has been installed through Microsoft Store, which makes office undetectable from our install process, and you selected the wrong bit-version. If this is the case, please check your office bit-version in Word in the “Account” page by opening “About Word” dialog. The bit-version is displayed at the end of the first line of the dialog.
Lastly, it has been reported for other addin that this can occured if you run word on an account with administrator privileges with UAC deactivated. In this case, you need to do the following actions :
- uninstall the addin
- Launch the addin installed as administrator
- When accepting the software licence, click on the “Advanced” button
- Select “Install for all users of this machine” and click “Next”
- Change the installation folder if you need and click “Next’
- The addin should then continue the install process as usual
Addin is deactived after installation
A user reported the addin to be deactivated after installation : In Word, under the File / Options / Add-ins category, Save As Daisy appeared under the Inactive applications section.
This issue is being investigated, but the following action has been tested and reported working by the user encountering this issue.
- Open the Manage panel, select COM Add-ins in the combo box and click the Go button,
- Check the Save as Daisy add-in and click on the Add button.
The add-in should start repairing himself before reopening the word document.
2.8.0 beta (July 2023)
(This version is under test phase and is not released yet)
This major release marks a change in the underlying conversion process to dtbook XML and packaged format, as DAISY Pipeline 1 is completely replaced by DAISY Pipeline 2. The following features that are either reported unused or that are available through standard Microsoft Word actions are removed from the addin :
- The “from multiple documents” exports actions are removed : As it was not a batch conversion of documents but a conversion and merging feature of multiple word document into a single Dtbook XML or DAISY book, testers reported the feature as unused in its current state. For users needing a similar action, it is recommended to either use a master document referencing the documents to merge, or manually construct a new Word document from the documents to merge.
- The “Add footnotes” button is removed from the ribbon : it is recommended to use Microsoft Word notes management in the “References” ribbon’s tab.
- It is no longer required to select an empty folder as export destination : For a given export to a selected format, a new folder taking the name of the converted file name followed by the selected format and a timestamp suffix will be created inside the selected destination folder and will contain the result of the conversion.
Various fixes and changes are included in the release :
- Fixed #25 by caching dtbook and mathml dtds and entities in the assembly,
- New conversion form “advanced settings” panel to better display settings for each export format based on DAISY pipeline 2 settings
- Fixed conversion progress dialog text area behavior
- Fixed inline shapes export that could raise a clipboard issue
- Fixed a bug in acronyms and abbreviations conversions
- New update checking mecanism in the “About” dialog that looks at the daisy github repository of the addin.
- Issue #26 is fixed by the removal of pipeline 1 that is vulnerable to attacks through its version of log4j
2.7.2 beta (September 2022)
This minor release adds the following changes to the addin :
- feature #19 : Adding notes positionning options in settings
- Notes can be positionning at the end of pages, inlined after or at the end of the level of the paragraph holding the noteref
- An insertion level can be selected for inlining notes in level or at the end of level
- Fixed #18 : Consecutive texts in italic, strong or exponent are now merged into one text block
- Fixed #13 : hyperlink targets in notes are now correctly retrieved
- Changed the installer to allow install in user-space for windows 10
- User without administrator privileges will need to contact their IT administrator to update the program the first time and switch to user-space installation if they are allowed to
2.7 beta (January 2022)
This major release starts the transition to the DAISY pipeline 2 as conversion engine. We now include the export to Epub3 (from a single docx file) as experimental functionnality under the SaveAsDAISY menu.
Fixes and updates :
- The installers are now completely unified to ease releases management : User with “hidden” office installation (like office installed from the Microsoft Store) are now prompted with a version selector on launch, including a link to help them find the bit version of their office if needed.
- Progression of the conversion is monitored through a progress bar and conversion messages to better visualize the state of the conversion
- Fixed a mathml handling issue
- Updated the pipeline 1 distribution to use 32bit java instead of 64bit : Users reported that voices provider are mainly distributing 32bits SAPI voices, thus requiring 32bit java for their launch.
- Conversion controls are now disabled in protected view (that limits word actions including plugin ones on documents)
2.6.1 beta - update 3 (September 2021)
Minor behaviour updates including :
- bugfix for #6
- bugfix for an issue regarding a PushLevel error message
- Conversion progress bars are replaced by a Message dialog reporting more precisely the process status
The code base is under a heavy rewrite process to optimize it and prepare the switch to pipeline 2 process, allowing to provide more outputed format and better support.
2.6.1 beta - Minor update 2 (January 28, 2021)
Minor update including
- bugfix for #2 in test phase
- bugfix for #3 in test phase
- Documentation updated (new manual and authoring guidelines, including integrated help file)
- Added a document file name check pass before launching conversion (to let the user manually rename his file if wanted)
- Fixed an installer issue where previous version of packages could be used instead of the new ones
- Name and logos updated in software and installers
2.6.1 beta - Minor update 1 (January 14, 2021)
Minor update including
- bugfix for #1 in test phase
- Removed the Accessibility Checker shortcut in the addin ribbon for office 2010 and later Users are advised to validated using the accessibility checker before launching a conversion in the conversion setting form, with a link to the checker documentation.
- Updated the AdoptOpenJDK java 8 runtime provided with the embedded DAISY pipeline lite
- File not found errors with partial file names reported missing: Some characters like spaces and commas may lead to “File not found” errors in the conversion process. Replace those characters by underscore “_” and launch the conversion again.
2.6.1 beta (December 18, 2020)
- Office XP is removed from the list of supported versions of Office,
- The list of officially supported versions of office now goes from Office 2003 to Office 2016/365,
- For newer version, a warning is raised to let the user decide if the installation must continue or not.
- For Windows x64, a unified installer is provided for Office 32bits and 64Bits
- For undetected Office installations (OEM or Windows store install of Office are preventing version detection):
- For office 32bits, the unified installer can be used,
- For office 64bits, a separate installer is provided.
- The default installation directory is now in program files/DAISY/Save-as-DAISY Word Addin,
- The latest version available of the DAISY pipeline 1 is included in the addin installer, and is shipped with an integrated java runtime for Windows x64
- The Word validation button is being replaced by a shortcut to the Microsoft Accessibility Checker, available in office 2010 and newer.
- The previous word validation process is only kept for word 2007 and 2003 where the accessibility checker is not available,
- The conversion of word documents to DAISY XML now includes a post-process pass:
- User can decide to apply cleanups and sentences detection in the conversion process options
- An issue has been reported with document containing shapes or images, where the conversion would not launch. The cause has been identified and is being worked on.
- A user reported a “Not able to find directory to install” warning when installing the addin for word 32 bits on x64 system. The install directory was found after going one step back and clicking again on next.